Monday, October 8, 2012

Leaving Home

Susan, Reagan, Micki, and I said goodbye to our home yesterday. I am not a fan of change, plus Susan and I are pretty sentimental, so this was not an easy transition for our little family. Reagan seems fine, but Micki has been hiding under the bed a lot. We loved our home, where it was located, and all the memories we have there. 

I can still remember the nerves I felt when I turned on Springwater the first time to pick Susan up for our third date at Fox Sports Grill. I strolled up the walkway thinking “pretty nice.” I was met in the doorway by a fluffy white barking dog and a woman who would eventually be my wife. Over the next five years Susan’s ‘single lady in her mid twenties’ condo turned into our home. 

In December of 2007 we exchanged our first “I love you” on the couch in the living room.
In July of 2008 I moved in and for the first time for both of us we lived with a BF/GF. We rearranged the living room so I could get in my recliner. Just about everything else was still Susan’s. 

In November of 2008 as a family, Susan and I hosted our first Thanksgiving. I felt all grown up that day. I’m so thankful my mom was there to be a part of it. I believe she could finally see I was a grown man, settled, and happy. Maybe she was able to stop worrying about me so much after that Thanksgiving. 

In January of 2009 I prepared a very special dinner in my kitchen. After we ate we walked over to our gazebo overlooking our lake and I asked her to marry me. Her surprise birthday party lurked in the darkness of Waters Restaurant watching the engagement. 

In July of that same year I carried her across the threshold as we entered our home for the first time as husband and wife. We immediately began making the place more ‘ours’ rather than ‘Susan’s’. New floors, paint, and bedroom furniture filled our home. 

In December of 2010, I had my hand on the doorknob to go out for a run, Susan came out of the bedroom with tears building in her eyes. “Can you look at something really quick?” I knew. But I ran passed her anyway to see the two pink lines in the bathroom. We had done it. Reagan was on her way. 

In the next several months to follow we shared the news of our first child with friends in that house. We turned an office/spare room until the most beautiful nursery we could have imagined. 

In September of 2011 we carried Reagan into the house. This would be the first day of her life in her first home. Over the next year Reagan would learn to follow us with her eyes, reach for toys, eventually she ate her first solids, learned to crawl, took her first steps, and celebrated her first birthday in a home filled with love. 

Along this path of major events we had tons of dinner parties, family and friend gatherings, and wonderfully quick walks over to the lake for concerts. Susan and I developed our own holiday traditions, and weekend routines. Reagan taught us how quickly she can get in the dog’s water and then across the house to get to the shredder.  This house has been a wonderful sanctuary of love and family for Sall of us, as well as a warm and supportive home for Reagan to grow. 18 Springwater, we will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment